Diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders (ASD) is based on psychological and behavioral evaluations
- cannot be performed on infants and very young children
- require social and language skills
- require child cooperation
- are time-consuming and expensive.
Yet early signs of ASD are often apparent at the infant stage of development, including lack of eye movement, smiles and response to the environment. If at this stage, a simple blood test was available to objectively diagnose ASD, then early clinical therapeutic intervention would be possible and more likely to be successful due to brain plasticity of the developing child. This would lead to earlier intervention with behavioral therapies.
Cell-El is working to identify blood-borne, ASD-specific diagnostic markers. Our preliminary analyses of a broad panel of bio-markers have identified markers discriminating between typically developed (TD) children.
Read more about our scientific method and published research:
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) – Searching for the Biological Basis for Behavioral Symptoms and New Therapeutic Targets, Frontiers in Neuroscience and Frontiers in Pediatrics (Journal edited, introductory article and paper on page 117 written by Dr. Gesundheit and other members of the Cell-El Ltd. team)
- Immunological and Autoimmune Considerations of Autism Spectrum Disorders, Journal of Autoimmunity
- Therapeutic Properties of Mesenchymal Stem Cells for Autism Spectrum Disorders, Medical Hypotheses
Make a DifferenceBy having your child or patient participate in Cell-El’s diagnostic research, you can make a difference to the future therapies available for ASD.
- Fill out the appropriate form under Join the Team
- A phone screening with Leah (approximately 5 minutes)
- A simple blood test where 5 cc of blood will be drawn
- Filling out a family medical history questionnaire (about 20 minutes)
- Male and female children
- age 2-12 years
- Diagnosed autism spectrum disorder (ASD) according to Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)-IV (299.00) or DSM-V (299.00).
- Informed consent signed by the parents
- Children that have been treated with systemic steroids or have undergone immune suppression treatment over the last 6 months.
- Children diagnosed with severe infectious diseases or sepsis over the last 6 months.
- Children diagnosed with mild infectious diseases (including common cold, ear infection, etc.) over the last month
- Children with ASD treated for a severe convulsive disorder.
- Children with hematological or malignant disorders.
Join Our Team
Thank you for taking the next step in joining Cell-El and finding a biological therapy for ASD. Please fill out the appropriate form below and we will contact you.